Sunday, February 28, 2010

Bike Across Canada - Summer 2011


View Larger Map

[edit: thanks to Shaun from the 2010 Cycle Tour Across Canada for helping me out with making my map prettier!]


And here is the link!


[EDIT]: Please note that this tour has been postponed/canceled. Please see here for details, as well as read some of my later entries from 2010. I've been recieving emails about it from time to time from people just reading this post, and figured I would make things easier for myself by updating it.

I have always kind of made half-assed plans to travel. In high school it was to Europe, in the last few years it's been to YoYo competitions in Florida and New York (I was seriously into yoyoing for a while...but that is another story). Be it through lack of funds or determination I never went. As a result I have been very few places, and living on an island doesn't help. My new found love of biking has given me an idea, one that I probably would have thought much bigger than me before, but not any more. I hope to finish my M.Sc. in December of this year, then in May 2011 I am going to fly to Vancouver with my bike, and ride all the way home to St. Johns, Newfoundland.

I originally thought "that would be really neat to do" and started reading trip logs of others who have done it. The more I read the more I got sucked in. "I can really do this" I thought. So with that in mind over the past two weeks or so I've been reading as many cross Canada cycling blogs as I can
Jeff and Ian - Biking Across Canada
Buddy
Trevor Macphail - Cross Canada 2007
Lone Biker - Biking Across Canada 1999
and have now started following Shaun's upcoming 2010 Cycle Tour Across Canada and his inspirational links!

Another source I followed heavily was the book The Canadian Cycling Associations Complete Guide to Bicycle Touring in Canada by Elliot Katz suggested by the Trans Canada Highway website. Between the book and all these logs I've made the proposed route above, but have not figured out stops yet. I have a cousin in Vancouver, and in Calgary, and friends and family in the Toronto and Ottawa areas, other than that I'll mostly be camping.

At this point it's something I feel I have to do. See this large country from coast to coast and actually experience something different about it and maybe myself.

That's all for now! More to come as plans further, gear grows, and my touring practice begins this summer!

10 comments:

  1. Hellllllllllllloooooooooooooo,
    I'm originally from Vancouver but am studying medicine in Wroclaw, Poland currently. I have been planning a trip like this for a looonnnnggg time...and the opportunity finally arose. Since the first year is so heavy, i decided to dropped 2 of my classes which forces me to take only those 2 classes next year. However, I did this quite willingly...
    So the bottom line is i will only have 2 subjects the whole year allowing me to prepare for this trip.
    I have asked many of my friends to come along this trip with me but to no avail as noone was willing.
    I think this trip would be great with more people, the more people the jollyier. If your on the same boat, let me know. I was thinking of organize a mini-group of people to bike from BC-Newfoundland.
    However, i will have to wait and see till the end of June to see when my courses will end next year.

    My name is Bob Smithers. I'm a youngster, 19 years old. Studying Medicine in Europe. Email is robby_56@hotmail.com.
    If your interested in forming a group to bike across canada, contact me. If not, good luck in 2011!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to do the same. I've never done anything like this, but I have been planning it for about a year now.

    I will have time next summer, so if anyone is putting together a group, I'm in!!! I hope to log quite a few hours on the bike in the meantime. I'm going to try a couple weeks out east this summer.

    Name: Robin Samways
    Age: 36
    Email: robinsamways@rogers.com
    Background: B.A. in Geography (minor in Geology) University of Windsor (1998). Computer programmer now :)

    Definitely get back to me if you're serious. I have had difficulty convincing people (including family and girlfriend) that this is something people should/can do. I've driven across Canada (except the East Coast) and loved every moment of it!! Can't wait to do it by bike.

    Cheers..
    Robin..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I'm looking to bike from Ontario out to Vancouver this summer but I need a riding partner or a group to go with. Any ideas? I have biked from Halifax to Montreal about 8 years ago and had the best time! I wouldn't find finishing my ride, I would even consider starting again in Halifax. I'm a teacher so I have the summer off.
    Thanks,
    Lara
    It seems like everyone bikes toward the east coast, is there a reason for this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. People usually go west-to-east due to the winds in the prairies being predominately blowing east, but I have heard many accounts of people getting bad head winds in this area regardless.

    MEC has a section in their GearSwap/connect area that you can post for looking for ride /trip partners.

    http://www.mec.ca/Apps/outdoorGearSwap/gearswap_listing_TravelTripPartners.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302881594&bmUID=1273154343826

    A bonus is that if you start on the west coast it is warmer earlier in the year.

    On a side note, do you really need a partner or group? I know some women are uncomfortable doing things like this on their own but a lot of people do it! It seems like a great way to really get away from everything and focus on yourself rather than what the rest of the world is doing. But then again some people feel much safer with a ride buddy, men and women alike.

    Good luck! Have fun and stay safe!

    PS: if more people left their email or a contact I could notify them of response! this entry is almost 4 months old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have created a resource for cycling across Canada it is available at www.canadabybicycle.com ! Check it out it is a full on guide that you can follow on your hand-held device. If you could hook me up with a link I would be pumped. Safe travels.

    Steve langston
    stevylang@hotmail.com
    www.canadabybicycle.com
    www.dirtytshirt.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I am finishing my final year of High School this year. I have been dreaming about this since I was 13 years of age. I am seeking something adventurous, and exciting to do before I go off to College. I am not one to just 'talk', I will do whatever it takes to do this. I will be eighteen come this summer, and despite my age I have the concentration and the willpower to do such a thing. I am in incredible shape, I go to the gym 3-4 times a week, I swim 5/7 days, I run track and field. I will do whatever it takes to make my dream somehow come true.

    Contact information:

    Phone Number: 905 783 7701
    Email Adress: Thatkidjake@live.com
    Facebook: Jake Bayer, Toronto Ontario(You should be able to find me).

    Keep me updated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This trip has been called off for now due to financial restrictions :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi my name is Isabelle. I would love to join you this summer. I was supposed to bike from Vancouver to Quebec with a friend but he cant do it anymore so i need a partner. I have been in Whistler for 11 years. I will turn 30 years old in June. Leaving in May would be perfect for me!!I go to the gym 4 to 5 days a week. I have a personnal trainer and i bike almost every day. I would like to talk to you asap because if i dont find a partner i will have to register with tour of canada. Its really expensive and i would prefer to do it with you than follow a big group.My adress email is: isaplante@gmail.com and my phone number is: 604-935-4682. Please contact me so we can talk about it. Thanks

    isa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi to everyone here

    This has been a dream of mine for a long time (since I was 17-18). I would love to cycle across Canada next year (2012). I just got back into cycling again this year and already have 1400km in 2 months. I would like to start out end May and maybe cover 150-200 km per day. It would be nice to have a partner for the trip.
    By the way, I will be 54 when I do the trip.

    Don
    treestotreasures@ns.sympatico.ca

    ReplyDelete
  10. So luck to come across your excellent blog. Your blog brings me a great deal of fun.. Good luck with the site.

    ReplyDelete